Writing about Data
Although many of the following claim to be targeted to specific disciplines, each should be useful to researchers from a variety of areas.
- The Writing Center @ George Mason University
- Writing@CSU– Several guides for scientific writing.
- Scientific Reports Handout, from the Writing Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- How to Write a Paper in Scientific Journal Style and Format
- Bates College (For biology, but useful to anybody writing an empirical report.)
- Organizing Your Social Sciences Research Paper
- LibGuides at University of Southern California.
- Writing Up Research: The Guidebook
- Asian Institute of Technology. See also their style guide
- A Guide to Writing Research Projects in Graduate Political Science Courses (pdf)
- Writing Scientific Manuscripts: A guide for undergraduates (pdf)
- by the Journal of Young Investigators
Advice for Newbies
- Academic Phrasebank
- Science Fair Project Guide
- from ScienceBuddies – Lots of good information for basic.
- Writing Lab Reports & APA Format
- by Andy Field, author of Discovering Statistics
- Perneger, T. V., & Hudelson, P. M. (2004). Writing a research article: advice to beginners. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 16(3), 191–192.
Writing Empirical Articles
- Pasek, J (2012). Writing the Empirical Social Science Research Paper: A Guide for the Perplexed. Psychology Teacher Network, 21(4). 6.
- White, L. (2005). Writes of Passage: Writing an Empirical Journal Article. Journal of Marriage and Family, 67(4), 791–798.
- Bem, D. J. (1987). Writing the Empirical Journal Article. The compleat academic: A practical guide for the beginning social scientist, 171.
Baron, J., Rescorla, R., & Seligman, M. (1991). How to write a research report in psychology.
- Writing for Psychology, Harvard College (pdf)
Harley, C. D. G., Hixon, M. A., & Levin, L. A. (2004). Scientific Writing And Publishing—A Guide For Students. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America, 85(2), 74–78
- Workshop on Professional Writing.
- Carver, C. S.
- Communicate your Science! Writing Research Papers
- by Bernard S. Brown