Data Management Plans
A number of funding agencies, such as the National Science Foundation, require a data management plan (DMP) be submitted with a grant application. To help grant applicants meet agency DMP requirements, Data Services offers support for questions about DMP guidelines and provides access to the DMPTool.
DMPTool is an online tool that will guide you step-by-step in preparing your data management plan. The DMPTool includes DMP templates and some examples. For more detailed information on agency requirements, DMPTool’s List of Funder Requirements links to information on what is required from NSF, NIH, NEH, etc. for data management plans.
Once you work through and fill out a template, you can use the final document to submit along with your grant application.
- To get started connect to DMPTool.
- Click on the link My Plans.
- Choose George Mason University from Select Your Institution.
- When you see the log in screen, log in with your Mason e-mail username and password.
- Once connected, you’ll be prompted to choose a template based on the agency or organization. DMPTool templates correspond to agency guidelines.
- Be sure to check the grant solicitation for any additional special DMP instructions.
For help contact:
Wendy Mann | email@example.com | 703.993.5272
George Mason research support & policies:
Listed below are resources on managing your grant application, funded research and research policies.
- Office of Research & Economic Development
- Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
- Office of Research Integrity & Assurance (ORIA)
- Research Policies
- Ownership and Maintenance of Research Records
- Copyright in University Works
- Patenting University Inventions
- Data Stewardship Policy
- Records Management Policy
- Information Technology Unit: Information Technology Security
- Meet funding agency requirements.
- Create ready-to-use data management plans for specific funding agencies.
- Connect to DMPTool. Click Get Started and choose George Mason University from Select Your Institution.
- At the log in screen, log in with your Mason e-mail username and password.
Want to learn more?
- View the DMPTool screencast.
- Contact us for help.